We are officially one month into the new year…hello, February 2018! This means most people are 31 days into a resolution. Do you have plans and goals that you hope to achieve in 2018? While well intentioned, most people don’t carry their resolutions throughout the year. They start to fade around February. Which is why, we want to give you 5 tips to help make your resolutions stick.
- Don’t just set goals, plan them. When goal planning, people write down exactly what they hope to achieve. They have a clear vision of what they want. But, do they know how to get there? Make sure you have a road map to success! When you identify your goal, plan it out: resources, activities, timelines, and outcomes. Write it down and make it visible.
- Make your goals SMART. Specific. Measurable. Attainable. Relevant. Timely. If your goal is too broad, you won’t know if you achieved it. This ties into measurable. You have to be able to compare a before and after to see where you’ve ended up after all your hard-work. Make sure they are attainable…don’t go setting yourself up for failure. Keep it relevant and timely. Know that the goal is achievable from your current situation. Deadlines keep things moving.
- Visualize yourself succeeding. This is the fun part. Close your eyes and just visualize yourself at that finish line. What have you achieved? What has changed now that you’ve achieved this goal? How do you feel? Where do you plan to go from here? Fill yourself up with these thoughts and feelings to push you forward!
- Surround yourself with support. Keep people around you that know your goals and want you to succeed. When you start to feel unsure or defeated, reach out to them! There is no shame in asking for help or a listening ear. And don’t forget, you need to believe in yourself!
- Give yourself wiggle-room. Know that you will have failures, setbacks, mistakes, and hiccups. Something will happen that will either give you pause or set you back. And that is okay. It’s life. Preparing yourself for the inevitable will stop you from giving up at the first push.
There you go! 5 simple tips to keep you moving. Now go forth and achieve!